Sunday, January 07, 2007

This Bud is not for me

I’d like to take a brief moment to thank Budweiser for its recent lapse in judgment in advertising their blue-collar brand. Yes, they have indeed turned over the reigns of the Budweiser carriage to former/current/retired rapper Jay-Z. Guess the Clydesdales can only pull a certain load.

The thing is, Budweiser didn’t do a 180, they did a 360x5. I don’t even recognize
them anymore. In an effort to appeal to a primarily black audience (something not yet attempted by any American-based beer – kudos for the thought) Budweiser has become the annoying white guy who wishes he were black and thinks a do-rag will confuse everyone. Nice try, but it didn’t do the trick.

Point is – I’m confused Budweiser. Are you my buddy from the mid-west who drives a Ford, wears Wal-Mart jeans, and smokes Marlboros? Or are you the gangsta from Brooklyn who drives an Escalade, wears Seven jeans, and smokes cannabis? I don’t know, nor do I care.


While I do think it’d have done you well to stick with the Clydesdales, my loyalty lies not with the Red and the White. My stock is firmly invested in the always rich, never filling hops and barleys found in the Blue and Gold. Yes. Miller. Lite. (it doesn’t even matter that they can’t spell.)

No comments: