Thursday, August 09, 2007

Dear First Years,

No one will do it for you.

For some reason, us 2nd years are obligated to impart some token of knowledge on you before you cross the threshold of 1313 E. Main. For me, that's it. That's my one piece of advice; No one will do it for you.


And I guess that's not as much advice as it is a warning.


When I was younger, my favorite phrase was "I do it myself." Grammatical challenges aside (I was 3 at the time), this was my mantra. My mom would ask if she could help me tie my shoes and I would kindly retort, "I do it myself." My dad would ask if I needed help getting out of the car. "I do it myself!"


For some reason, my parents were constantly coming to my aid when, clearly, my 3-year-old-self didn't need it. It didn't matter that I had no idea how to tie my shoes or that the jump from our truck to the pavement was a bit risky. I was sure that I could do it myself.


20 years later and I can tie my shoes just fine. The jump out of the car has turned into a manageable hop. And I'm still learning to do things by doing them myself.


No one will take your place at 3am when you're preparing a presentation due in a few hours time. No one will provide you with those 20 extra ideas to post on the wall for Coz. No one will defend your ad for you. No one will make the ads for you.

And they shouldn't.

If there's a principal that this school is founded on, it's that of 'learning by doing.' So I say unto you, dear first years, no one will do it for you. So do it yourself.

5 comments:

Bukes said...

I'll piggy back on that and say, sure, no one will do it for you, but you don't have to do it alone. There are 170 more of us right there doing it, too.

No one is truly alone in this process. If they feel like they are, they have but to look around. At 3a.m. When a project is due in a few hours.

ME said...

Indeed. Do it yourself. Not by yourself.

(oh, and if you haven't heard this enough already, here it is again - do it the way you want to do it, when you do it yourself.)

ME said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

I didn't talk to my mentor at all, and I kind of felt bad about it but I think I handled first year well. On the flipside I am excited about being a mentor for someone.

ME said...

You will be a wonderful mentor. Maybe you can mentor my mentee. Why don't you start a blog.