Friday, August 17, 2007

There will be more people at your funeral because of FaceBook.

Mark my words.

With the rise of non-personal forms of communication, people became concerned about the potential of losing a human connection. I'm finding just the opposite. When a friend of mine from high school (who has found herself in Dublin) can keep in touch with me via Facebook, I think I've actually gained some human connection.

There's no way I'd be able to keep in touch with friends from high school if I were transported back in time. Letters? Who has time for that? And even if we did, how would we know where to send them. People move every half-second. I don't even own an address book anymore.

But at any given moment, anyone with an internet connection can not only find me, but can correspond with me. Because of Facebook (and blogs, etc.), people get to follow the story of my life and I get to follow theirs. It's like the common-man's media source.

I know more people and more people know me because of Facebook. And while at times I wish its trendyness and clicheness would subside, I can't help but thank it for making me a mini-celebrity in my own little world. More friends will remember my birthday, more friends will know when I've moved, more friends will know when I pop out kids, and more friends will know when I've died.

2 comments:

Bukes said...

And, thus, more friends still know you even when you don't return to Richmond. It's not like "Dana's gone." It's more like, "Dana is in Texas."

Unless you still come back... and we get the illest apartment the brandcenter has ever seen...

ME said...

Did you just say "illest"?