Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Useless Knowledge Update

I thought I'd validate my findings by asking one who'd know: My daddy. He was in the US and in high school during the 60's so I asked him what he thought of this green = homosexual myth (see below "Useless Knowledge" post). Here's his response:

I’ve never heard that before, but I tend to be a little naive where those things are concerned. Cox HS (the high school that he and my brother and I went to) colors are green as you know. I never looked at the calendar when I wore my letter jacket for instance and never had any male approach me with any lewd offer. But that is most likely a good thing!
Love-
Daddy


Ohhh, dads.

But it raises a valid question: How does stuff like this get started? When I was in high school it was "if you're right ear is pierced you're homosexual." Or more commonly: "Left is Right, Right is Wrong."

I have my right upper-ear pierced and I fancy the opposite sex. So I'm either as naive as my father, or this theory holds no water. I vote for the later.

Right or wrong, it's interesting to see the most primitive stages of viral marketing. (And the irrational nature of the high school teenager.)

No comments: