Thursday, January 03, 2008

Hit That.

A few months ago I added code to this website to track my visitors. Don't be afraid. That first sentence makes it sound like I know more than I actually do. But as a copywriter, that's my job - it's an illooosion.

I have no idea what html stands for, but Google made it simple enough to attach a few scrambled words of nonsense to the end of my blogger template so I could see how many people visit my site each day and where they're from. That's about the extent of it.

I've had a few hits from crazy places like Pakistan and even crazier places like New Jersey. And there's something exciting about seeing all those little states fill up like patchy grass in a sun-scorched lawn.

That gave me an idea to start a new site, Every State. It's got the simple goal of trying to get at least one person from each state in the US to hit the site within one month's time. A screen shot of the hit map will be posted each day and hopefully the patchy grass will become a lush lawn in 31 days.

With many of my friends on break from ad grad school all across the country (and one even heading to Hawaii - ca-ching) I figured this was an opportune time to solicit participation.

So I guess this constitutes shameless self promotion on my own site. Nice.

No comments: