Thursday, March 13, 2008

Burger Review: What-a-burger

#1 Whataburger with cheese
Regular size
Fries
Dr. Pepper

So this makes the 2nd in my series of burger tests around Dallas. I'm heading to burger joints that I've never been to. Many of them only found in the southwest.

Today I found myself at What-a-burger. And if there was one thing prevalent at this place, it was branding. Big, bright, orange and blue branding. Can you think of any other company that uses orange and blue? Me either.


It's hard to miss these guys with the standard collection of fast-food signage that collages the sky. So up I drove and a burger I ate.


Maybe I should've belted it?

This one cost me a couple of bucks more than the Jack In The Box meal. I can only attribute that to the burger's larger size. But there was also a drawback to its size - the bun was equally large, if not larger than the burger itself. Most of my bites were more bread than burger. Bad news.

This burger was decent.
It reminded me a lot of a Sonic burger. A large, round, thin pattie.

One thing I did like about this sandwich was that they only use mustard. No mayo. Made it kind of signature and cut down on the fat/calories. They also used chopped onions instead of rings. And there were three whole slices of tomatoes on there. Three! That may have also contributed to the higher cost.


The unfortunate thing was that one of the tomatoes escaped and made love to my dog-hair-covered floor. So, sadly, it was relegated to the trash along with a few onions. The remainder of my meal, I ate directly over the table.

The fries were good. They were the typical American-style thin strings. They reminded me of crispier version of Mccy D's fries.

What-a-burger also seems to be rolling with a "made to order" theme. Their bag asks "What don't you want on that?" It took a while as I waited at the window for my meal to arrive. Perhaps they were busy making it fresh. Or maybe they were just making me wait to think that.

Overall rating: B+

Up next: Carl's Jr., Hardee's southwestern sister


No comments: