Monday, May 19, 2008

Stories

I may have posted this spot before, but it still stands as one of my favorites. Why? Because it tells a story.

It sucks you in and makes you forget, if only for a little while, that you're being sold something. It becomes your friend. You bond with it and the character it portrays. And yet, as much as it is telling the story of this woman, it's also telling the story of a brand.

Notice that there's no brand logo at the bottom of the screen to cue us in that "Oh, this is a Saturn commercial." Why? Because that's what it becomes when you do that - a commercial. Not a story. And I'm suddenly less interested.

They wait till the end for the big reveal. And they can afford to because they've lured my attention. And they keep it going with a story - not a product.

Most brands and products, especially Saturn, I have no particular relationship with. But people? I have a bond with people. Maybe not this one in particular. But tell me her story. Maybe I'll find out.

I don't want to be sold stuff all the time. And in fact, that's exactly what I expect from commercials. To be sold stuff.

But when you're caught off guard by entertainment, it suddenly becomes less intrusive. Your brain is naturally drawn to it instead of immediately turned off. And you learn something.

Good for me. Great for Saturn.

Single Most Important Message: Saturn never treats their customers like a number.

(or more likely) Saturn, while being a large car manufacturer, still has superior customer service.


No comments: