Friday, January 16, 2009

Notable Quotes

I'm in the middle of my second Chuck Klosterman book, "Chuck Klosterman IV". It's a compilation of his interesting interviews with interesting people over the course of 10 years. Or, as the spine of the book says: "A decade of curious people and dangerous ideas."

I enjoy his style of writing, and while I'll assume it's not for everyone, it's at least worth a skim next time you're at Barnes & Noble.

Currently, I'm reading an interview he had with Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant. And while most of what streams from Plant is incoherent and narrow-minded, there was one line that was strikingly clear. I can only assume I couldn't comprehend most of what he was saying because I'm not that into music. But, perhaps because I'm in advertising, I understood when he said this:


"I don't make my living by making my living. My time is so important that I can't compromise my taste - or my idea of what's right - simply to match someone else's view of what's a good, calculated move."


Of course, that was then followed by "It would have been quite sluttish to come back firing like a bunch of hard rockers." But I suppose that rings a bell too...

No comments: